Friday, June 5, 2009

What I have been busy with...

For the month of May my schedule got really busy. I was asked to teach the Horsemanship merit badge for the Boy Scouts of America for some of the troops that are part of our wards in Des Moines. At first I was a little hesitant and was worried that I was biting off more than I could chew. This is my passion and I get a little carried away when it comes to sharing the many things I have learned in my life. It was a really neat experience though and I think I learned some things along with the scouts and their leaders. 
What I ended up doing was splitting the merit badge so we could cover all the requirements. We covered everything from anatomy, breeds, health, safety and tack. This was all spread out over about 5 weeks. The last week we were able to visit a bishops farm and get some hands on training before we went on our ride the next day.
The whole group along with our handsome buckskin model.

Teaching the boys to groom.

Saddling basics.

Each boy had to give everything a try with leaders close by just in case they needed help.

The boys wanted to see what it looked like to ride at a walk, trot, canter, and a gallop. I was more than willing to comply. I was as giddy as can be.

0 comments: