Saturday, March 22, 2008

Church History Trip 1

Last Saturday was the beginning of my spring break.  So Kamala and I went on a little day trip to Nauvoo and Carthage.  It turned out to be a great day despite the snow and wind, we just didn't walk around town as much as we'd hoped, but we'll go again when it's warmer and look around more.


This was the first time either of us had crossed the Mississippi.  Too bad it was so foggy you couldn't see the river.  There's the Nauvoo temple.  It was so beautiful.  It's kind of weird seeing the huge beautiful building on the main street of a town of 1100 people.  It was amazing to go through the temple and think of all those saints who went through to make their covenants with the Lord, knowing that they would be leaving the city very soon.
Outside the Carthage Jail.  This was a very interesting tour, and wasn't as depressing as I thought it'd be (as you can tell by the smiles!) 

I think this was my favorite thing of the day.  Right across the street from the front door of the temple.  It depicts Joseph and Hyrums last ride on their way to Carthage, when they took a different route so they could take one more look at the unfinished temple.  All in all it made for a great day, and we're sure to go back again, definitely when it's warmer! --TS

3 comments:

Kelly said...

How fun. It sounds like you guys had a fun trip. I went last fall when my parents where visiting but Jacob didn't get to come. We are really looking forward to going there together. I love the picture you took of the bridge.

musson said...

I love Nauvoo and I'm so glad you got to enjoy your break there.
Oh and we need to hang out again!

Andrea :) said...

What an awesome trip! I loved visiting all those sights, too. :)