Thursday, May 29, 2008

Let the Tears Fall

Well it is official people, I am all alone. Travis has finished his first year of medical school and left for Air Force Commissioned Officer Training (COT). I was a complete mess monday night. After all the fun we had over the weekend I just could not hold it together anymore. We had so much fun. 

Starting on saturday, if you didn't know already, was my 25th birthday. Yep I am, as my mom put it in a card, over the hill and in need of a black birthday party. I know its really not that old. However I am in the older crowd when it comes to med students and their wives, that has never happened before. So we went and saw two movies, yep two, the new Indian Jones movie (fun fun) and the new Narnia movie (better than the first). My sister could not believe we paid for both when the theaters where right next to each other. Yes I was a movie hopper in the good ole' days. We enjoyed that and then headed off to Red Robin for dinner, it was soooo good. Then we headed home to get ready to go out again and 10:30 at night. I had convinced Travis to take me clubbing!!! It was so much fun, definitely not a mormon club, it was so different. We enjoyed people watching and listening to fun music. Travis is not an night owl, poor man look who he married, I on the other hand get my second wind about 10:30 or 11 pm. So when he was ready to go at 11:30 I was ready to party for another couple hours. We left around 12 or so. It was totally awesome!! 

Then monday I took Travis out for brunch, he LOVES breakfast food, kinda as a sorry I kept you up all night, and then we headed off to the zoo. We tagged along with our favorite friends the Parkinson's and their two beautiful children. Don't worry I will get pictures up soon. We had so much fun this weekend, so why do you ask did I fall apart monday night. Well because I just didn't want to take him to the airport the next morning. Thats right all you other med students he took the test Friday instead. 

So Travis has been in Alabama for two days now. He says that there has been a lot of standing in line and yelling so far. Yesterday him and his roommate had their door kicked in at 4:30ish AM and had 5 minutes to be dressed and shaved. He also said he had exactly 60 seconds for shaving and 60 seconds for brushing his teeth, they stood their and timed them. He was required to wake up that early again today after going to bed around 12 last night. Poor boy, he doesn't like getting less than 6 hours of sleep. 

As for me I was a mess after I dropped him off. So much so that I got lost in downtown DSM. It took me forever to get my bearings again. I finally got to work and went to a couple parties. I avoided going home till around 10 so I could go straight to bed. And yesterday was horrible I couldn't find enough things to keep me busy. I haven't been alone in a house for a long period of time (longer than a week) in about 5 years. So this is a little traumatizing. Travis will be coming home on the 28th of June, so it is going to one long month. So with that said if anyone needs company let me know or call me and I will be there. Well that is all for my ranting today, more to come...trust me. 

4 comments:

NatMo said...

Kam-you are stronger than I could ever be. I know you will do well, and pull through. Sounds like you have some good friends to turn to when you are bored out of your head.

brittanyandtravis said...

Not to be harsh, but a month is nothing, it will go by quicker than you think! Travis was gone for 6 months up in Rexburg then was home for a month and then was gone for 3 again and then came back and had more training for another 3 months, but came home at night. Air Force has it easier, and doctor's don't do as much as the other guys. So it might seem long but it isn't and you get used to it. After the first week and a half you get into a routine. Now I don't mind when he leaves for a few days or a week or two. It is a nice break :) Just enjoy doing things when you want to and it will be fine! Take time to do stuff that Travis isn't into (movies, crafts, shopping, whatever)and that will help too.

Linsy said...

Poor Kamala...I feel your pain. To me, a month is a long time, no offense Brittany :) My husband was gone for 2 weeks a couple times in a row, and that was pure torture. Wish we lived closer I would totally have you over and we'd watch chick flicks together! hang in there..."and this too shall pass."

Matt and Erin said...

Kamala, I bet this has already been a long month for you. And I agree, a month will be tough. Six months would be even harder, but a month is still hard. But let's get together and do something soon. Maybe we can get a group of girls and do dutch oven! What do you think?!